Pages

Wednesday 3 December 2014

Final Class Tonight: Would you give a student extra marks for going the Extra Mile?


THIS actually happened to me 48+ hours before the last class!

OOPs my jobs new laptop screen by cactusbones, on Flickr
Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License   by  cactusbones 

 

Ok…I know you are not supposed to leave things until the last minute but I thought 3 days before the assignment was giving me enough time…turns out – this is what happened

Sunday 9am
Working on gathering pictures for my presentation and deciding how I will make my video interesting and funny!
Sunday 3pm
Going to start recording my presentation on Movie Maker.  It is recording audio but no video.  Or, only video and no audio.  Great!  Tried to shut down and re-start, etc.  No luck! 
Sunday 6pm
Going to try download a new version of Movie Maker from website.  Turns out I downloaded a version from a website that had malware (advertising).  It basically stalled out my computer.  Ads were popping up all over the screen. 
Sunday 8pm
Shut down the computer.  Turn to completing my script for the presentation.
Monday 8am
Goto IT dept and explain the issue.  They decide to re-image my computer.
Monday 12 noon
Get my computer back.  Working fine.  Movie Maker not appearing.  He said they re-installed it.
Monday 1pm
Take computer back down to re-install Movie Maker.
Monday 3pm
Confirmation that Movie Maker installed.  Pick up computer but ask him to show me that it is installed and working.  He turns computer on and it turn to a black screen.  He tries logging in again and it won’t turn on – it only reboots, over and over again.
Monday 4:30
He says, “sorry, our day is done.  I think your hard drive is shot!  I will have to look at it tomorrow!"
Monday 4:40
I beg him to give me a spare computer in place of the old one.  He gives me an old computer that they could spare for a couple of days.  Nothing is loaded on the computer so I have to do it all on my own.
Monday evening
I’m freaking out because I have someone else’s computer…I don’t have the things I need on this computer.  I had everything saved on my “favorites” so I can’t remember anything about our class!  Stressed!
Monday evening
Continue working on my script for the presentation until midnight
Tuesday 5am
Wake up early & continue working on project.
Tuesday 8am
Take muffins for the guys in IT because I feel bad that I was bothering them so much on Monday…plus I want my old computer back today!
Tuesday 8am
Realize that computer will not be ready so I have to just do a Powerpoint presentation – it’s not going to be as good as Movie Maker but it will have to do at this hour!
Tuesday 3pm
Receive email that my computer is ready!  He says he did not have to replace the hard drive – they re-imaged computer again because they ran a scan and everything seems to be ok…for now…
Tuesday 4pm
Start recording my voice over top of powerpoint presentation using Screencast for the first time ever! 
Tuesday 6:30
It’s taken me about 12 re-takes…I’m out of time!  This last “take” is going to have to be good enough! 
Tuesday 6:40
I blast out of the office and fly down the stairs…running to my car.  Hoping that I can make it to the University in time for our 7pm class!
Tuesday 6:45
Rip out of the parking lot to the University!
Tuesday 6:59
Find a parking spot and put $2 in the meter.  It says 30 minutes!  I look, oh, it’s only a 30 minute parking spot!  Nice.  Hope I have enough change for the next meter!
Tuesday 7pm
Run into the Education Bldg.
Tuesday 7:02pm
I see smiling faces and a wonderful table of pizza (heavenly!  I’m starving and my voice is raw from recording my audio for the last 2 hours!).  Smile and nod...nobody knows what I've just gone through in the past 48 hours!
Tuesday 7:15
A great evening of great food and conversation.  Thank you Alec for your generosity in buying us pizza!  This is greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. KELLY! I'd give you extra marks... if I could get some too. Oh gosh... you've had an adventure. I did too. I had a full on anxiety attack just before our last class. My apartment was infested for weeks, and I had to move, then my computer kept crashing, then I had no data left on my personal devices, and no internet (because we moved) and I was travelling out of province, so couldn't get on campus... the list just went on and on... and days before our last class- my laptop charger MELTED. What a mess. But like you- I was almost panicked getting to the classroom... and found such friendly faces and a calm/encouraging Alec & Katia... and pizza. Woo hoo. It was great to meet you. My former boss always said "the last minute is the only minute." Happy Holidays! Hopefully your holiday plans run smoother than what happened you last week!

    ReplyDelete