Pages

Sunday 7 December 2014

Gender and ed-tech by Audry Watters


Gender and ed-tech by Audry Watters
 
In the future - if only 10 Institutions by giulia.forsythe, on Flickr
Creative Commons Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic License   by  giulia.forsythe 


I wanted to share my reflection on the message shared by Audrey Watters.  I would usually research the presenter before they presented but I didn’t have time this past week.  I found this to be an eye-opener and Audrey’s message made me think twice about cyber safety and gender equity issues.  I admit, I was not aware or affected by these issues but after this message, I have greater awareness!

As an educator and as a parent, I feel like I should know more of the inequities and dangers that are ever so present.  Audrey’s message has made me feel uneasy and concerned about what I, and so many others, do not know.   I have 3 daughters who are always on their technology and we’ve talked openly about cyber safety in our home but when we asked our girls about if these same discussions happen in their school, we find out that they do not.  I am not sure why this isn’t discussed more at the school level or if this will change in the future.

I found it very interesting when Audrey pointed out that the problem with the Internet is that it was, “Largely designed by men from the developed world, it is built for men of the developed world.”  I know that this is somewhat true because I had worked for a software company and it was 90% men.  She also stated that, “Harassment – of women, people of color, and other marginalized groups – is pervasive”.  Audrey tells of a story where she sets up fake identities – both boys and girls – and I believe she said that over 70% of girls were harassed but a very small percentage of boys were actually harassed!  I found this to be the most shocking of news and I shared this with my daughters – they were shocked as well but didn’t think that the percentage of girls being harassed was that high.  I’m not sure why this would be but perhaps my girls don’t go on gaming websites as much?  I’m not certain. 

As a result of Audrey’s presentation, my wife and I are going helped them change their identities on the web and now they sound more gender neutral.  Another plan I have is to engage in a similar conversation with colleagues I work to bring about greater awareness of the issues, especially with some of our more vulnerable groups (special education students).

Thank you Audrey for this wonderful presentation!

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, Thanks for the post. The Audrey Watters lecture was fantastic. I think that your comments are mindful and shows your concern for these issues. I just wanted to throw in a couple more thoughts your way. First- I really have to say that I don't think what she said was 'somewhat true', it's really true, and it's great that you coudl see that example through your lived experience. More and more, we're seeing ads, commentary, and posts online that are heteronormative, gendered, and often, there are many microagressions being performed. I think it's our job to make sure our students feel comfortable enough to question this content when it comes up, and be able to speak about it. What I also really LOVE about your comment today was shifting your children's identities to more gender neutral. On one hand- I think that doing so- simply fosters a more welcoming environment for young people who may be questioning or transitioning through their identity. And, though, it is a could be a bit of a preventative measure- to avoid potential harassment, I think it's great to be able to take ownership and control how much of yourself you put online. It was great to meet you! Thanks for this awesome post.

    ReplyDelete